Civic Day 2018: Why Your Conservation Area Matters
Save the Date: Saturday 16th June 2018
Saturday the 16th of June is National Civic Day. Building on last year’s “I care about where I live campaign”, the National Civic Voice Movement have themed this year: ‘My conservation area matters because …. ‘
So Swindon Civic Voice have chosen this day to focus on the Milton Road Baths, or the Health Hydro as it’s known, with central community centre as a supporting role!
The Milton Road baths are an historic and unique Victorian health facility, a heritage asset right in the middle of Swindon and an integral part of our proud Railway history. And of course the central community centre, managed by the Mechanics’ Institute trust, was once the GWR community fund hospital.
The arms of New Swindon’s conservation area embrace not only Milton Road baths but the Railway Village, the Central Community Centre, the Baker’s Arms, the Platform and the Mechanics’ Institute.
Were you aware that?
- The Health Hydro and Swimming baths have been serving the community for 125 years.
- The GWR Medical Fund Society, an entity that influenced the formation of the NHS, was already 100 years old when it was handed to the NHS.
- 2018 marks the 70th anniversary of the NHS
- The Victorian Turkish Baths at Milton Road are now the oldest, extant of their kind in the world.
- Swindon Amateur Swimming Club, the third oldest swimming club in the county, has been based at Milton Rd since it first opened.
Five fantastic and important reasons right there why your conservation area matters … to you, to Swindon and to the nation!
Planning for Swindon’s Civic Day is now well underway. We can’t reveal everything yet but we can tell you that there’ll be photographic and film displays, guided tours around the Baths and the Railway Village led by local experts – always extremely popular … plus refreshments with suitably themed biscuits … and there could still be time to round it off with a visit to the Designer Outlet Village!
So, please do put the date in your diary! In the meantime, download the ‘I care about where I live’ sign here and send us your photos telling us why YOU care about where you live.
Find us on Twitter: @SwindonV and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/swindoncivicvoice/
Swindon Civic Day: Saturday the 16th June 2018
See You There!